The suicide bride / Tanya Bretherton.Publisher: Sydney, NSW : Hachette Australia, 2019Copyright date: ©2019Description: 311 pages ; 24 cmContent type:
- 9780733640988 (paperback)
- Sly, Ellie
- Sly, Alicks
- Families -- New South Wales -- Sydney -- 20th century -- Biography
- Married women -- New South Wales -- Sydney -- Biography
- Marital violence
- Suicide -- Investigation -- New South Wales -- Sydney
- Suicide -- New South Wales -- Sydney
- Children of murder victims -- New South Wales -- Sydney -- Biography
- Murder -- Investigation -- New South Wales -- Sydney
- Murderers -- New South Wales -- Sydney -- Biography
- Murder victims -- New South Wales -- Sydney -- Biography
- True crime
- Sydney (N.S.W.) -- History -- 1901-1945
- 364.1523 23
"A mystery of tragedy and family secrets in Edwardian Sydney" -- Cover.
Includes bibliographical references.
Whenever society produces a depraved criminal, we wonder: is it nature or is it nurture? When the charlatan Alicks Sly murdered his wife, Ellie, and killed himself with a cut-throat razor in a house in Sydney's Newtown in early 1904, he set off a chain of events that could answer that question. He also left behind mysteries that might never be solved. Sociologist Dr Tanya Bretherton traces the brutal story of Ellie, one of many suicide brides in turn-of-the-century Sydney; of her husband, Alicks, and his family; and their three orphaned sons, adrift in the world.
|Item type||Current library||Call number||Status||Notes||Date due||Barcode|
|Book||SMSA Library Non-fiction||364.1523 BRET||Available||June 2019||69507|